I’m not one who usually rants. Seriously. Take a look back through all my prior posts. I suspect you’d have a difficult time finding too many posts where I complain about something.
That being said, in the spirit of all the resolutionist-bashing that is happening on triathlon message boards and blogs aplenty, I thought it apropos for me to do a little bashing of my own. After all, a guy’s allowed to be a little grumpy every now and then. Right?
Without further ado, here’s a few things that irk the crap out of me:
- Band-Aids floating in the pool. No explanation required.
- People who use the restroom in public spaces and then conveniently “forget” to flush. Yeah – thanks for leaving your temple-bursting, corn-laden, foul-smelling butt purge in the toilet for the rest of humanity to see. Because I’m sure you do the same thing at home. And could you at least hit the toilet when you pee?
- Race directors that give out race bibs that don’t have holes punched in the corners so I can use my race belt. Triathletes love to use safety pins.
- Wheel-sucking drafters at races
- Folks who spend 20 minutes in the porta-potty prior to a race. Seriously? There’s 500 of us waiting to use three porta-pottys and you’re in there reading a novel!
- Lap lane conversationalists. You know – the type of folks that you hate sitting next to on a plane, but they’re in the pool lane with you. Every time you stop on the wall, it’s all “My Aunt Beatrice did an Ironman once…” And it seems like they are ALWAYS at the wall when you are.
- Running into a big rat’s nest of hair in the pool. Of course, since you’re wet, it’s harder than hell to get that nasty stuff off of you.
- Twitter stalkers. I get a little email everytime someone follows my Twitter feed. I love it when someone follows me. Naturally, when I get around to figuring out if I want to follow them back, they either don’t exist any longer or are some porn-star wannabe. I get enough spam in my email. Now I get it on Twitter too.
- Cocky tri-assholes. Also see the average user on Slowtwitch.
- OK….not everyone on Slowtwitch fits the definition above. Just some of them do. And in reality, I have a love-hate relationship with them. I alternate between laughing at what they say, dumfounded in their arrogance, or pissed off at their cockyness.
- Speaking of things that are hard to get off – whatever adhesive goes on the bike stickers at some races must have been made for NASA or something. You almost have to take a razor blade to get that junk off! And I can think of nothing better than sawing off a layer of material on a bike – especially if it’s a carbon bike.
There – it’s off my chest. Rant is done.
Anything bug you?