Resolutions. Round about this time of year, folks all over the globe set them. Folks resolve to lose weight. To balance their budget. To exercise more. To be nice to their spouse. To have more of a work-life balance. We all know the drill.
Take the exercise phenomena. From now until mid-February, gyms will be packed. You’ll see tons and tons of folks out walking or running. But eventually, things will taper out. Folks will lose interest, or time will become too short. Work will become too great. Something. It happens every year.
365 days ago, as we entered 2011, I resolved not to make any resolutions. And for the most part, I didn’t.
This year, I decided to take a slightly different approach. I’ve laid out some goals that I will endeavor to accomplish during 2012.
The key difference between goals and a resolution is that resolutions tend to be fairly generic. “I resolve to lose weight.” Okay, buddy. You do that.
Goals are more tangible. They are expectations. To wear by “business hat”, good goals are S.M.A.R.T. (specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, and timely).
I have decided to set ten specific goals for 2012. I fully believe that they are all attainable. Further, I expect that I will accomplish each and every one of them. They will be my measuring stick for the year.
Drum roll, please…..
TriMadness’ 2012 Multisport Goals:
- Obtain a new personal best for an Olympic Distance tri. Current PR is 3:00. Target is 2:45.xx
- Obtain a new personal best for a half-iron distance tri. Current PR is 6:37. Target is 5:50.xx
- Run a sub-8:00 mile. In training. In a race. Doesn’t matter where. Just do it prior to year-end.
- Break 2:00 in a half-marathon. Target race is the Outback Distance Classic on Thanksgiving day – but would certainly take it in a half-iron tri, too :-).
- Swim 50 * 50 before 4/1
- Swim 75 * 75 before 6/1
- Swim 100 * 100 before 9/1
- Swim at least 250,000 yards in 2012
- Bike at least 1600 miles in 2012
- Run at least 750 miles in 2012
There are things that I want to do in 2012 that I haven’t laid out as an “official” goal, but will work towards accomplishing this year. Some of those I’ll publicize and talk about here later on (especially one in particular). Obviously, some I won’t talk about, but will track and monitor.
So I’ve shared my goals. What are yours?