>In honor of the sheer vastness of Sportscenter that I watched this weekend, it seems only fitting to proffer up a post of headlines…
- My last 7 runs have been on the treadmill. Now, like many endurance folks, I’m not a huge fan of treadmills. You know the routine. It’s boring. It’s hot. You seem to run forever! All that said, an 8 mile treadmill run goes by much faster when you’re watching a good football game (thanks Steelers & Ravens).
- Why is it that injuries nag? I mean, come on. It’s been a month since I had my calf issue in the Jax Bank 1/2 marathon, and it still hurts occasionally. Like last night on my run.
- You may or may not have known (because I didn’t really promote it here), but this blog was one of the ten finalists in EverymanTri.com’s annual Top Ten Endurance Blogs contest this year. Voting ended yesterday for this contest. And while I didn’t win, I’m really pretty honored to have made the top ten. There are some really great blogs on the top ten list, like Steve in a Speedo, DC Rainmaker, and Hillary Biscay. My Trakkers teammate Jamie was also on the top ten. Check out his blog too – it really is fantastic!
- I got an unbelievable number of hits on the blog over the last week (like in the neighborhood of 3000). That’s a pretty impressive number for a little blog like this – that would equate to roughly a quarter of the hits I had in all of 2010! If you’re new to the blog as a result of EverymanTri’s contest, WELCOME! Thanks for visiting, and please hang out a while!
- T-minus 27 days until I run in the 26.2 with Donna – the National Marathon to End Breast Cancer. Can’t lie – I’m feeling under prepared for this race as a result of my calf issue and taking almost three weeks off. I still haven’t run more than 18…I’ve missed a second 18 miler and a 20 miler. I’m not worried about finishing (If I can do an Ironman, I can damn sure finish a marathon!) – but I want to have a good race…and there’s some doubt about that lingering in my mind…
- By the way, if you’re in marathon shape (or close to marathon shape…or pretty far away from marathon shape, like me), you can still register to run in this race. It’s truly a fantastic marathon, with a great, great cause. For more on the race (and the founder), check out this “Ten Questions With…” post. The race is Feb 13th in pancake flat Jacksonville Beach, FL. Great race…no fundraising required! There’s also a half marathon that day, too.
- I found a new use for my 50 degree backyard swimming pool over the weekend. ICE BATH! Yes, it’s true, most people in Florida have pools in their yards (ha – not really). Typically, during our winter (late November until mid-February), the pool is just a pretty lawn ornament. You can’t actually get in it. Heck – even my golden retriever won’t get into it during the winter. But…as the temp drops, it becomes a super ice bath.
If you’re not working today due to MLK day, enjoy the extended training day. If you are working…well, just read another 10-20 blogs. You’ll LOOK like you’re working, even though you aren’t! 🙂
Have a great week!